Friday, December 11, 2009

The Tentative Runner

Having both plantars fasciitis and a strained calf in the last 6 months has caused me to ease up on the running a bit.

I run more tentatively, listen to my body more (especially calves, ankles, and feet), and take more rest days. I don't want to get injured again, so I'm running slower, shorter runs until I can build up some confidence and strength. Speaking of strength, I am also trying to incorporate strength and flexibility work into my training. I stress trying.

So, for my last few runs, I've run without my ipod, so I can "listen" to my lower body and pay attention to any possible pain. And, I kind of like it. My whole focus is on my run and how I'm feeling, aside from the mind wandering that happens naturally during runs.

This morning I had a nice, chilly 3 miler, felt pretty good, and I hope to get in another 4 or 5 tomorrow.

6 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

injuries really really suck. One thing that my sports doc/ART therapist recommended to me is not running back to back days, and that she trained for her 3 full marathons running 3 days per week. I've taken her advice so far... and so far so good. *knock on wood* but yes, listening to your body is so important.

Lacy said...

Once you can break through after an injury, it gets easier to read the signs faster. I was so timid after my pelvic stress fracture. I was calling the PT with every twinge. It's been over a year now and I feel fear of that fear. As long as I remember to do what the doc says to keep me from that place ever again!

The Navy Christian said...

I stopped using music too and it helped me a lot in preparing for my runs. I know more about myself and, honestly, I'm enjoying my runs more, so I applaud your efforts!

Missy said...

I NEVER run with music. It really is a little bit of peace that everyone needs. Nice job. You may never go back.

Gene said...

i try not to use music in the woods, but on the dreadmill...MUST HAVE MUSIC. it drowns out the people who come to the gym to socialize. Good for you for switching it up. Changes like that often help us get through adversity.

Felice Devine said...

Glad the 3 miles felt good. Hope you get in your 4 or 5!