Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Bridge is Out!

Obviously, my 8 year old gets his artistic talent from his father.

Today I ran 5.5 miles. Above is an attempt of a visual of the last mile of my run including my house.

As I was nearing the end of my run, less than a 1/2 mile from my house, I was coming up to a bridge. Now, I knew that the bridge was under repair, but I thought that I could still get across. Wrong.
I really didn't want to back track about a mile, just to cross a 10 foot creek so that I could get to my house that was 200 yards away. (The bridge and stream are in a park with lots of trees, and is kind of a woodsy area.)
So, I went up and down the bank of the stream trying to find a place to cross. The water was a little higher than normal since the ice has been melting, so I really couldn't find a good spot. It wasn't deep, but it was too wide to cross. Some of the ice was frozen too. So I ended up having to toss in a few logs and rocks so that I could cross over onto an island. My shoes only got slightly wet. Then, I had to climb up a steep hill, down another part of the hill, across another section of stream, and then up another hill. All of this probably took my 20 minutes.

Seriously, I could have just back tracked and ran the extra mile by that time.

6 comments:

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

haha what an adventure!! Glad you made it home safe and sound!!(and not soaking wet!)

Missy said...

Love the picture! Yeah, sometimes, a story is better than just back tracking.

Mark said...

doh!

Lindsay said...

haha. sounds like what i'd do... make the "shortcut" longer than the road-way. glad you made it back safely!

Rookie on the Run said...

But what a fun story... and a great illustration to go with it!!

Christina said...

We runners are a stubborn breed. Why go back when we can go across? I love the picture. :)