Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Homemade Sports Drinks

To all the budget-conscious runners out there, here are 3 recipes for homemade sports drinks, that my aunt gave me recently. I have tried the first two, and I like the first one better. The 2nd one tasts kind of like salty kool-aid.



Homemade Sports Drink Recipe #1

1/2 cup orange juice
9 tbs. Sugar
3/8 tsp Salt
Water to 2 liters

Nutrition info:
14.4 grams carb (6/1%)
104 mg sodium
28.4 mg Potassium

(Gatorade 8 oz. serving gives: 14 grams carbs, 110 mg sodium, 30 mg potassium)

Homemade Sports Drink Recipe #2

10 tbs sugar (5/8 cups)
.75 tsp sea salt or Morton's lite
1 package of unsweetened Koolaid mix
Water to make 2 liters

Nutrition info:
14.2 grams carbs
103 mg sodium
121 mg potassium
53 calories

(if you wanted to reduce the potassium, another option would be to use 1/2 tsp each of regular sea salt and the Morton lite salt. This would change it to: 104 mg sodium, 40 mg potassium)


Homemade Sports Drink Recipe #3

1 caffeine free lemon tea bag
water
2 tbs sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tbs orange juice

Bring 16 ounces of water to boil. Steep lemon tea bag. Dissolve sugar and salt into tea and let cool. Combine the tea and orange juice and chill.

Nutrition info:
15 grams carbs
130 mg sodium
60 calories

6 comments:

joyRuN said...

Thanks for sharing these. I like how the first & third are pretty natural - it worries me how much unpronounceable ingredients are in my Gatorade.

Rookie on the Run said...

Great post! I've never considered making my own but I may have to give it a try... especially since I'll know what is in it.

Aka Alice said...

I like the second two. I'd be worried about running with the citrus from the OJ in my system...nothing health wise, just tummy troubles :-)

Christina said...

That's great. One ingredient I've learned to not include in a homemade sports drink is something with carbonation. I wore that drink on that run. :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

interesting... I never thought about making my own sports drink. Thanks.

Jess said...

Interesting. Thanks for the recipes!