Monday, April 13, 2009

My First Garmin Run!


It's official...I have joined the world of all you Garmin-heads out there...I have to say that it was every bit as awesome as many of you had said.....my Nike+ has served me well and lasted a good 7-8 months, but it's time to move on....for my first Garmin run,  I still had my Nike+ with me though, too, and probably will for awhile anway (I'm trying to reach  500 miles on my Nike+, and have about 70 miles left to hit it)....

I got my Forerunner 205 on Friday, read the owner's manual (skimmed it really) and took it out Saturday for my 11 mile long run (my Tri-City run, where I run through parts of 3 cities).....I really love that you can look down and be able to tell your pace at a glance...and having an accurate distance is awesome too.   I went 11.02 miles in 1:51:57, a pace of 10:09, according to Mr Garmin......I think the watch looks bulky, but it didn't really feel bulky once I had it on my wrist...and it didn't take more than a minute to find a satelite...overall, I am very happy with the 205 purchase...

I am still trying to figure out the Garmin Training Center thing, and where to keep my charger....those of you that have a Garmin, how often do you synch on your computer?  And, can you synch on multiple computers?  I was thinking about installing the Garmin software on my laptop, but not sure if it will work....any other tips for a Garmin newbie?

15 comments:

Shannon said...

Yahoo another lover of "G!"

Unfortunately I can't "sync" my watch yet, they don't have the software for Mac users yet. I have to store and write everything by hand. Sux....

Congratulations!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Whoo hoo! Congrats. You can sync on more than one computer if you want, as long as you still have the files on your Garmin. Garmin Training Center is ok, motionbased.com also is a pretty neat site, even though they're now working on getting it converted to GarminConnect (not yet available for 205/305). There are many other sites out there that are compatible with the 205, so it just depends what you want out of your data! Enjoy it!

I Run for Fun said...

Congratulations on your new acquisition! I hope to join the Garmin ranks soon.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Congrats on the switch. Now you'll be addicted and can't run without it. I sync up on multiple machines and upload my data to RoadRunnersSports website.

ShutUpandRun said...

Glad you like your Garmin. I still haven't figured out how to make it talk to my computer - I've just been using the basic functions. Good luck..

IzzyBubbles said...

I'm glad you like it! I synch to my computer, but still haven't figured out how to upload the data anywhere - basically don't have the patience to sit down and do that. So if you figure out an easy solution, let me know!

joyRuN said...

Oooh - enjoy the Garmin! I signed up for motionbased, but then found out that everything I wanted to know was already in the Garmin Training Center that I had installed on my computer anyway. I didn't see a point in uploading my info on an on-line log (seemed redundant) when I'm already plugging my basic stats into Buckeye Outdoors.

Unknown said...

I dock my Garmin 305 about once or twice a week. I've only ever docked it at one computer, so I don't know what would happen using more than one.

Billy said...

welcome to the club - here's to being overly obsessed over pace/numbers now!

Being Robinson said...

YAYA for becomming a Garmin member. Glad you love it. I have the old school Garmin (per my race pics--it's MASSIVE) and don't sync it, just load it up with batteries.

SuperDave said...

You have officially been sucked into the Garmin vortex!
Try motionbased.com
they will eventually be incorporated into GarminConnect. I like motionbased better.
also try sportstracks.
You can sync on any computer as long as you dont delete the run/runs from your watch. After you've d/l'd to your different pc's you can delete the run.

Now if only you can survive the intiation phase...

Aron said...

yayyy welcome to the cult :)

Unknown said...

you can put the data on different computers if you want as long as the data is still on your watch.

i use sporttracks software (freeware) instead of the garming software. check it out

have fun with your new toy!

Jes said...

Man oh man I am soooooooo jealous! I want a Garmin so bad!

They don't sell them where I live. :-( Someone told me they're illegal here because of our proximity to The Dear Leader, but I never bothered to find out if that was true or just some jerk talking smack.

Anyway, despite my jealousy, congrats on your new toy!!

Rookie on the Run said...

Yay!! I'm happy for you! I'm glad you are happy with it and that it is everything you dreamed it would be.

As for your questions, I have no answers. I'm Garminless.