Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Final Countdown...

I started running 10 months ago, and in 4 days I will run my first half marathon.  I feel like I have come a long way.    I am excited and a bit nervous.  The OKC marathon is supposed to have 18,000 people, with about 15,000 of them doing the half marathon like me.   Unless I get injured, I am confident that I will finish, but it may not be fast.  My Nike+ miles are almost at 500 miles during these last 10 months, and as soon as it hits 500, I am going to stop using it to track my miles, and just use my Garmin.     I feel like I am as prepared as I will be for the OKC event, so I had my final pre-race run last night, a short 3 miler.  I am giving my legs/feet three days of rest leading up to the race.    

The weather forecast a few days ago said windy with a high of 81.   I checked it again just now and it said high of 78 with a 40% chance of rain.  I am  hoping for good running weather.  I really do not want to run in the rain.

I have had thoughts of continuing my training after the race to ramp up to a full marathon, but I am not sure yet.  A half marathon takes less time and demands and seems to fit my lifestyle better, so maybe I'll just try to find another half in a few months or so.  Not sure yet.  I am planning on doing our local River Run 10K 3 weeks after the race, so that will keep me busy.

Giveaway
Check out Tri Runner, he's giving away some Hornet Juice!

Happy Running everyone!



18 comments:

George Houston said...

Love the blog.

Thanks for the the link!

Diana said...

Best of luck at your first HM! I will be joining those ranks soon too!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good luck this weekend!

Mark said...

Good luck!! Enjoy the time and watch out, you may catch the marathon bug!!

RunningLaur said...

So exciting - good luck!

ShutUpandRun said...

Oh yes, I bet you will want to do a full after OKC!! Do you have a time goal, or just hoping to finish and feel good? Just have fun with it, I know you will get caught up in the spirit of the race and will do great. You have trained well, it seems!

RunToTheFinish said...

yeahhhh!!!! enjoy this race every step of the way you have earned it! Don't worry about what's next just enjoy this first

Ashley said...

Good luck!!! The first time I EVER ran in the rain was in my first HM on Sunday. It actually wasn't that bad....and if's going to be in the upper 70's/lower 80's, you might actually welcome the rain to help keep you cooled off.

You'll do great & have a blast! Good luck & can't wait to hear all about it!

TiredMamaRunning said...

You're going to do great! Enjoy yourself out there-I've heard great things about OKC! Can't wait to read the RR. Fingers crossed that any precipitation will be of the light, intermittent, and refreshing variety.

Erik said...

Good luck man! OKC is a great marathon. I've been over the course and it runs pretty flat. I will tell you though, it has been pretty HOT here in the afternoons. The temp is running about 90F, but the killer is NO wind.

I'm honestly thinking that a little rain that morning might be a good thing.

Good luck!!

E

Being Robinson said...

Whoo HOO! 18,000??! WHAAA? I thought it was only 13,000... this race grows out of control. Last year it was 40 degrees, windy and rainy, miserable. It will be fun no matter what.

Spaghetti Warehouse, 7:30p, Bricktown. See you then :)

IzzyBubbles said...

Whoohooo! 4 days and counting, my friend. Think about it this way, you may be slow, but you're still going to be DONE at least two hours before I am!! I agree, HM training is a lot less stressful, but oh, I think you have to try your hand at the marathon at least once. And you're excellent shape right now to keep going and train for that.

Maybe we should all shoot for a little bloggie breakfast after the River Run 10K?? FWR will never say no if coffee is involved. ;)

Felice Devine said...

Yay!!! Good luck this weekend!

Aron said...

soooo awesome! you are going to do GREAT :)

Shannon said...

Good Luck!

joyRuN said...

Good luck & have fun!!!

Unknown said...

There's nothing wrong with doing several halfs before considering doing a marathon.

Good luck!

ShirleyPerly said...

Best of luck on your race! Don't let the rain psyche you out. It can actually feel quite refreshing and the cloud cover is nice to have on a warm day.