Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Marathon Shmarathon

So my wife said I should keep training and attempt to run a marathon. This got me to thinking.

First off, I don’t feel a deep burning desire to run a marathon, although if I continue to run it would seem like the natural progression of things…I think a marathon puts a great deal of stress and pounding on the body…I can’t comprehend people who run 50 marathons in 50 days, or who run from San Francisco to New York in 52 days…..although they must be in incredible shape, I can only imagine what damage, even if minute, they are doing to their bodies in undertaking such a feat…..

In college I made a list of things I would like to do before I die….one of them was to run a marathon….now that I am older, I think I would be content just running 5Ks or 10Ks, and not be so concerned with running a marathon….I know that the training for a marathon takes up enormous amounts of time, which I do not have, so really I think I’d be happy just sticking to my regular runs, staying healthy, and running a race here and there along the way…..

I heard a quote that 90% of people that lose weight end up gaining that weight back within 5 years….I guess that is why I want to continue to run…to inoculate myself against such a thing…..

Yesterday we drove 10 hours from the Land of Oz (Kansas) to my wifes hometown in Illinois. The boys actually did very good on the trip. (I bet my parents wish they would have had Gameboys and in-car movies when I was growing up.)

Today I got up and ran 4.3 miles around the town, just kind of exploring the area. It was a nice day, not too cold really. Didn't even need gloves. Felt great and had a 8:38 pace. I plan to do a similar run tomorrow morning before our big Turkey feast!

No comments: