Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Biggest Loser Season 8 Premiere thoughts...

I love watching the Biggest Loser, and last night was the season 8 premiere. Here are some of my thoughts:

--I can't believe the one gal was still in the hospital a week later from collapsing after walking one mile...they never did say what her health issue was, but I hope she is okay..

--It was very eye opening to see how hard it was for the contestants to even make it one mile...and, I think the show took a risk by having them do that challenge right off the bat, having two of them end up in the hospital on the first day had to be scary for the producers

--I knew Dan would win the one mile challenge, and it was probably a little unfair to have him in that challenge...he's been through the show before and has been consistently working out, so of course he can win a one mile race against the rest of the group who has not been doing any exercise...

--the story about the woman who lost her entire family in a car accident was heart breaking...I can't imagine what she must have gone through....I'm really pulling for her

--There are some BIG people this year, including the biggest person ever...like they said, it really is a statement about the direction of our society

--I know Bob and Gillian are effective, but I am sorry, Gillian is just mean the way she yells and gets in your face...I am glad Shay didn't quit, she really needs to be there..

--I thought the wrong person went home...Julio didn't lose as much weight percentage-wise, and Alexandra really had the fire to want to be there...also, America's choice Amanda was very lucky her team was not in the bottom, she would have been gone...she only lost 6 pounds when others around her lost 13, 18, 28 pounds, etc...


*******
I finally broke down and went to my doctor yesterday for my plantar fasciitis....he said he's had it twice in his life, and gave me a steroid injection in the heel of my foot....if it works, hopefully, I can return to running in two weeks....in looking online, that treatment is not guaranteed, but my doctor said it worked for him....going on 3 months now of dealing with this pain, it is getting old....

14 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm glad you saw a dr on the PF issue. I hope the injection does the trick!

TiredMamaRunning said...

I think I must be a masochist...I'd kind of like to have Jillian screaming at me. :P Yeah, I had a hard time even wrapping my head around what it must be like to be in Abby's shoes. I bet she does well,and goes far in the game. She's motivated, and what kind of heartless person wants to vote her off?

Hope that injection helps you out.

RunToTheFinish said...

THe good thing is Alexandra seems to be doing really well at home on her own, which is awesome and I don't htink julio would have just due to family, work, etc.

I think that it was ok to do the one mile challenge..heck their time the gym looked harder than that

Brandi said...

I LOVE that it's back on!! This is my favorite show!!! I just sat and cried and will probably cry every episode!

Glad you went to the Dr. I hope the shot works for you and you can get back out there! I started back yesterday after about a month off and boy can I tell how much I'm out of shape in just that short amount of time.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Recorded it and now I don't have to watch it, thanks.......... Just kidding, I couldn't believe the one mile challenge either.

Anna Banana said...

HI Oz runner! Don't think I have ever posted on your blog, but I am a fellow runner, Christian, and HUGE K-State fan as well! I did think Alexandra was the better choice to go home having a family can be a huge distrator and it would have been hard for Julio. It seems like Alexandra has a good support system at home as well! Jillian is a bit tough for me as well, but I'm glad that everyone is working with both trainers bc they get a taste of both. I was disappointed to not get an update on the girl in the hospital, but it showed her next week so I guess we will have to wait until next week to see "the dreaded two week curse!"

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I only watched the first hour...DVR the rest so THANKs for the spoiler...LOL!!

I CRIED when Abby talked about losing her family...I cannot imagine the pain she has been through.

I LOVED the show but the "Second Chances" theme was a bit overpowering. I get it...everyone does not have to say the same thing over and over...it felt a little scripted.

That ladder thing looked tough and so did many of the exercises...I would love it if they put a "normal" healthy person in with the group and showed how much they sweat...it may put things in perspective.

Janice {Run Far} said...

OMG.. I cryed during the entire first half. I love that show. Abby is def my fav so far. Her story is heart breaking and she is so positive, she even made Jillian cry. WOW! Jillian seemed alot meaner then normal. I thought Julio need to leave too. His partner deserved it, her % was higher. I think the show wanted Dan to win and knew he would win and asked him to pick Shay... I over think things though. Can't wait for next Tues. :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Fingers crossed the shot works! 3 months is a long time to be dealing with PF pain ...

Lindsay said...

i looove bl. i definitely ran my run a little faster last night to make sure i was home in time! :)

i hope that what they edit and show on tv is just a glimpse at jillian... and that maybe she's not always yelling/cursing at them. i do think she/bob need to be tough on them but i couldn't handle ALL of that yelling. yes, get in my face, but not that much. so, i hope it's just an editing thing that makes it look worse than it really is?

i also thought the mile challenge was a LOT for the first day, considering where they are coming from. but, they do have a long journey to make and have obviously been easy on themselves so far in life. time to toughen up and change for the better!

Lacy said...

WHOA! A shot in your foot! Yeeouch!! Hope it helps!

I need to go set to the TiVo right now. I love that how. My internal voice is probably just like Gillian's.
I'm very quiet on the outside, but oh man, if you could hear the trainer in my head!

Chic Runner said...

I do well when people are like Jillian with me. ha ha to each their own. :)

I can't wait to watch it tonight! I tivoed it!

Hope your heel gets better soon. that is a big time bummer.

Missy said...

I agree with you on who went home - Julio was the answer. Alexandra is looking hawt, though. My gawd this season is super large. I was actually afraid for them in the gym a few times.

Being Robinson said...

i haven't really watched TBL, just once in awhile. but with my injury, well i have to force myself to sit and do nothing, so i watched and now i'm hooked! and totally agree.

so i take it you are out for the half on sunday :( bummer. i hope your heel gets better soon. i had cortizone in my hip back in 2007 after the half marathon and it really did help. i'm pulling for ya. hopefully you'll be ready to go for rosstoberfest 5K (and i'll be ready too)! and we can show our injuries who's boss :)