Friday, August 7, 2009

Frustrating Runs

First off, I hate blogging about my injured foot, because I feel like I'm whining or complaining. Really I'm not. It's just what I've been dealing with lately, and it affects my running a great deal.
So, it usually ends up in my blog.
I have been running through my plantars fasciitis, and it is creating a lot of frustration. The plantars is going on 3 months now. Two weeks ago I got in 25 miles and last week I got in 21 miles. I ran 5 miles this morning in Illinois (oh yes, we are traveling again. my wife has her 20 yr high school reunion, and tonight is "dress up in 80's clothes and go bowling" night)
The runs are slow and usually end up with some walking/stretching in them. I am starting to wonder if I should stop running altogether. And I'm considering actually going to a doctor. The pain is excrutiating at times. And other times, it feels fine. Today after about mile 3, the pain was very diminished, and it felt almost like I got a second wind.
The "Walk to Cooperstown" challenge at work is making it difficult for me to stop running altogether. I want to do my part for the team. (we are in first place by the way--woo-hoo) I have also stopped taking ibuprofen, and while that would probably help if I took a couple prior to my runs, I would prefer to run medicine free. Do any of you take iboprofen during your runs?

The county fair is going on here in Illinois while we're here for the reunion, and we're going to go to the Demolition Derby on Sunday night. Should be a lot of fun. We've got 3rd row seats and have been told we might want to where trash bags to protect from all the mud that will be slung everywhere. I can't remember going to a Demolition Derby, but I might have when I was little. My kids are super excited to go to one, and I'll try to get some pics.

Also, we get back from our trip Monday night, and school starts Tuesday.....crazy that summer is over already.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't take ibuprophen during runs. i understand that it is hard on your body (liver) when exercising. Not sure if that is true or not, but it's enough to keep me from using it.

I don't know much about PF, but I ran through knee pain last year for a good three months and it led nowhere good. Big mistake. I think seeing a doctor is wise, but a general doctor probably won't be much help. Sport doc or a foot guy or a PT would probably be better.

Chic Runner said...

I don't take ibprofen, It's weird I almost forget to take it ever and how much it helps. I hope you feel better soon, don't worry it's not like complaining at all! Or else my blog would be complaining about the bathroom 24/7.. ha ha

Jess said...

When you're injured, there's little else you think about, so it's understandable to also blog about it. Plus, it's YOUR blog. You can complain if you wanna!

And I agree with what Lisa said about the PF. 2 years ago, I kept trying to run through IT pain, and it wasn't until I decided to take a solid month long hiatus that I was able to fully heal. It's extremely tough to bench yourself, but with an injury, sometimes that's the choice you have to make.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Do as I say and not as I do. Stop running and go to the doctor! You're setting yourself up for injuring another body part due to compensation. Of course I would try and run through it.....

Marlene said...

Sorry to read about the ongoing foot pain. If it's excrutiating, you really may need to just take a little break.

I take Ibuprofen ("Vitamin I") occasionally when I run - usually just for the REALLY long ones or a race.

RunningLaur said...

Demolition Derby?!?! Yay!

You're not complaining - you're just blogging about your running, and that just happens to have some sucky foot things going along with it too. I don't take ibuprofen when I run - I think it's important to be able to feel any pain accurately to know if you're doing damage.

I'm with the rest - I'd probably go to the doctor, since it's been a while now. See if you can find a doctor who is a runner though, and you'll be much more likely to get information you'll like (rather than "don't run, running's stupid and hurts people" - which we runners never listen to anyway.)

Katie said...

Ummmm, aren't you supposed to be RESTING so it can heal? :)

Brandi said...

You may not want to hear it but taking some time to rest may just do wonders. I used to take a lot of Ibuprofen. I took it before a run and after a run. I noticed my stomach was always in pain though. I have since kicked the habit. :) Ice has become my best friend!

joyRuN said...

Nitmos just posted about skipping his 20th HS reunion - your wife didn't go to HS in Michigan did she? ;)

Your blog, so go ahead with your PF progress - you can usually get solid advice from other runners who've had the same injury.

Lindsay said...

i try to avoid meds all the time. i take ibu when something is really hurting, so i don't take it regularly before/during a run. i, too, have heard about some negative effect ibu has on your liver so i try to keep it limited.

i also say to blog about whatever you want. complain, celebrate, whatever you need/want to say! it's your blog!

my friend ran through pf for over a year... it never quit giving her trouble. of course she also continued to wear heels to work (i don't think you have this problem) and played basketball which, while it wasn't just running i'm sure it wasn't great for the foot. i would recommend taking some serious time off. can you earn points for your work team doing other workouts? biking or swimming? (just wondering)

Carly said...

I am sorry you are dealing with PF. I was sidelined with it last year and I am just now getting back up to running regularly.

One of the things that helped was rolling and stretching my foot on a golf ball then rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle. I kept doing it over and over.

Being Robinson said...

i don't ever take anything before a run, but i will after. i think you should make that visit to the dr. PT would probably do some good?! maybe?! hope you have a good trip back.

ShirleyPerly said...

I rarely take pain medicine before working out as pain is my body's way of telling me to back off. The few times I have, it's usually Tylenol 8 hour, not ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is not recommended while running as it affects kidney functions. I take it occasionally after workouts, though, if I have any pain caused by swelling that it may help.

TiredMamaRunning said...

I can empathize with having been injured in the past-it SUCKS! I never like to tell other people what to do BUT JMO that that PF needs a little TLC (rest, and a visit to a good sports-minded doc or PT) so you can really tame it for good.

The 80's night theme at your wife's 20th reunion sounds like a hoot!

Felice Devine said...

I never take ibu. during runs. If I take it, I take it at least an hour or so before heading out, so I digest it.

RunToTheFinish said...

oh man I know how much the ongoing injury sucks and it sucks to talk about, but what are ya gonna due! I sure hope some of the PT starts working for you.

ok i fully expect pics from this 80's night

Aron said...

i am sorry your foot is hurting so much :( if i were you i would go to a dr and probably take some time off. seems like thats the only way to make it go away for good. good luck!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

just catching up, sorry to hear about the ongoing PF. Never had it, but I have had my share of other injuries, and it sucks. Like some of the others suggested, perhaps going to the doc would be a god idea if they can somehow help shorten the recovery time. Good luck.