Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Slowly Thawing Out

We got hit with the Midwest winter blast and have had wintery weather the last couple weeks--- lots of snow, ice, negative wind chills, and school cancellations.  

Of course, we didn't get hit quite as bad as our neighbors in Oklahoma, or Arkansas.  I heard that in Tulsa school was closed for two weeks.  And in NW Arkansas, they set a 100-yr old state record for snowfall in a 24 hr period (23 inches).  My company totally shut down there for 2 days, as did many other businesses.

All this cold stuff always puts a damper on my running (read: no running the last couple weeks).

But fortunately, the weather finally broke over the weekend and we've climbed into the 50's.  The snow is melting.  Woo-hoo.

I got out for a 3 miler last night and it felt great.  I have lost 12 lbs in the last 5 weeks (even WITH all the valentines candy!) and it sounds weird but I could feel it in my running, I felt lighter and stronger.   Still, I have decided that my body is old enough now that it needs extra rest days between runs, so I'm going to try to be smart about that and not overdue it.

Here is a pic of the snowman my boys made over the weekend, after it warmed up and the snow packed really good.

PS--Big win for K-State Monday night.  Thank you to KU for possibly saving our season.

7 comments:

Stacey said...

Yay for melting snow!!
GReat snowman!

Carly said...

So glad for the thaw! We are finally seeing some melting too. I wish they would close stuff down for us when we get snow.

Great job on the run!

Unknown said...

I love the snowman!!

Indi said...

Spring-time is around the corner..i feel it! Yey for Spring!!

TNTcoach Ken said...

three miles and five pounds lighter! Here we go!

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

I tend to fret over every pound, because I know it make a difference in my racing (and training), and for now I care about my times.

Colleen said...

nice snow man Seattle Real Estate