Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hornet Hustle 5K

I am still alive. Barely.   I haven't run in a very long time, so I haven't felt the need to blog.  This is a running blog after all.  My last 5K was about a year ago and I haven't run much since.  First it was my lingering foot injury.   I've been to the podiatrist a couple times, wore some custom inserts for awhile, and did some stretching exercises twice a day.   When it seemed like my foot was feeling better, the "Midwest Heat Wave of 2011" kicked in, and I didn't feel like doing anything but staying inside with the AC cranked drinking lemonade.   So I didn't run.   And I've gotten out of shape.  And it showed in yesterday's 5K.

My son's school does a 5K and Fun Run as a fundraiser each year, and I tried to talk my 9 year old into doing the 2 mile or 1 mile, but he wanted to tackle the 5K again.  He totally killed it. sub 30 minute 5K on a cross country course with a few rolling hills.   I didn't see him after about a mile.  I was sucking wind, had to walk-run-walk-run the whole way, and finished about 7 minutes behind him.    He was the first kid from his school to finish.   I told him afterwards that I was proud of him and that it was official---he was faster than me now.

Yesterday was a gut check and a reminder to me that I need to get out there again and run, even if it means I'll be starting over.  Hopefully that means I'll be getting back in shape and blogging again soon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's amazing how fast we lose fitness. Best way to get it back is get out there and start running again. Good luck!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Welcome back on both accounts. We all need a guy check every now and then.

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

Welcome back for the moment at least. Do you think you'll be running the Valley Center BYOK 5k again this year? I might run it.

TiredMamaRunning said...

Welcome back! It's okay to start over again...even healthy to hit the ol reset button. Congrats to Oz Runner Jr for nailing the 5K!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Keep running. If possible start some bodyweight exercises too. They are highly addictive. Best of luck.

Unknown said...

Sometimes all of us need to have breaks between our trainings. I've been reading a blog (militarygradenutritionals.com/blog/) where I have found a perfect advice for such occasions. They wrote about the dietary supplement Multipurpose High-Potency Super Nutritional Complex. It claimed to keep your body toned even if you are not training for a while. I tried it and was pleasantly surprised when my muscles almost did not sore after the post-break training. Moreover, I was able to run as much as I used to before the break.