Thursday, May 6, 2010

Running Again?

Okay, so there is a question mark at the end of Running Again? because although I did have my first run two nights ago in about 2 weeks, I still feel like I'm riding that line where I could get re-injured at any moment. So, I'm trying to be smart and careful. So I can run and stay running.

The Stick has been great, I am going to try to use it twice a day, either before and after a run, or once in the morning and once at night. I had hopes to run the River Run 10K this next weekend, which I hear is the biggest race in the state of Kansas, but I know that I am not in shape for it. I could probably get through it, but it would be ugly. And, I could risk an injury flare up. See, I'm trying to be smart.

So I've been thinking about two things.
1. Getting a bike so I can cross train
2. Trying out the Galloway method.

Has anyone done the Galloway method? I was listening to the Extra Mile podcast yesterday and he had Jeff Galloway on the show. If you don't know, the Galloway method is all about run-walking, and Jeff said a lot of that is to aid in injury prevention. He said he's been injury free for like 30+ years now. Pretty amazing, and it got my attention. So, I may give it a shot. Still debating.

As for the bike, I had a buddy stop by the other day with a nice triathlon bike he bought on Craiglist at a bargain of a price. I don't know about doing a triathlon (the swimming part would kill me), but it definitely got me to considering getting a bike. There would be less pounding on my injured foot, for sure.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting their runs in. I'm feeling disconnected to the blogosphere currently. May is a busy month.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The galloway method is how I learned to run! I've done it for 3 years now. I like it, but watch out because you'll get used to those walk breaks! I'm trying to break the habit right now.

Indi said...

I started off with loosely following the Galloway method. I'm going to be training for my first full in a few months and I think I will definitely stick to it.
One thing that has helped me a lot is doing strength training on single leg for lower body to help balance out legs. I can send somethings I use if you would like.

ShirleyPerly said...

You know, most folks I know here in Central FL actually do some form of run-walk. It's just too darn hot to run all the time and esp. after a long bike ride, it's often the only way for triathletes to get the distance done. The Galloway marathon training program at my local running store is the most popular for new runners.

Felice Devine said...

I'm leading a group of new runners and have them run/walking and so far, so good. None of them have gotten injured and they've all been increasing their mileage well.

Good luck!

Erin said...

I also learned to run using a run/walk method and I know several people who use it during marathon training. I think it would be the perfect way for you to start running again.

Also, I would really like all these people who find awesome bikes on craigslist to come search craigslist in my area and tell me which ones are good and which ones are crap. I have no desire to do a triathlon, but I would totally do a duathalon and bike for cross training. Except I don't have a bike :-(

Evolving Through Running said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Haven't tried the Galloway method, but have a neighbor who trained for and ran the same marathon as me in March doing the Gallowalking, and he had great success and no injuries, after having to end a prior training attempt with hip issues. I'll be interested to see what you think of it and if you give it a try, since injuries seem to find me a highly hospitable target.

In addition to the Stick, I also was hitting my calves with Biofreeze before every run in my last training cycle, and it seemed to help. May have just been psychological, but the mind/body thing is a reality for me.

TiredMamaRunning said...

I've never Gallowalked and find it hard to start and stop during a run. I think, though, that it depends highly on the individual as a runner with their temperament, injury history and other factors. It works well for a lot of people so I figure you might as well give it a go and see if it's a good way for you to get back out there now.

Lindsay said...

i've never officially done the galloway, but i have walked sometimes during a run. i think it's definitely worthwhile in the meantime at least - and then you can decide if you will stick with it or build back up to "all" running.